Why do I need to protect my deck?
- Decking is expensive so you'll need to protect it to stop the sun turning it grey or the rain damaging it. You can use a decking stain or an oil, both will protect it and keep it looking great.
What's the difference between a stain and an oil?
- The difference is in the finish and the level of protection. An oil soaks in to wood and nourishes it. It gives wood a lightly tinted finish. A stain gives richer colour and a bit more protection.
What's Ultimate Decking Stain and Ultimate Decking Oil?
- Our Ultimate Decking Stain and Oil are guaranteed to last twice as long so you'll get the most out of your deck. They give the best protection against the weather and everyday use.
What's the best way to clean decking?
- You'll need to clean your decking a couple of times a year to keep it looking its best. Ronseal Decking Cleaner and Reviver is great at cleaning and reviving weathered or tired timber decking. It can be use as a general cleaner to brighten and enhance your deck throughout the year. It's also ideal for use as a pre-treatment too, as it opens the grain of the wood to allow the new coating to stick for a longer lasting finish. Start by removing any moss, mould or algae off the deck with a stiff brush. Pour Ronseal Decking Cleaner & Reviver directly onto your deck, and scrub the surface immediately using a stiff brush then leave for about 15-20 minutes. For the best results, wash thoroughly with a pressure washer. Work from one end of a decking board to the other. Alternatively, scrub the surface with a stiff brush then hose it down. Make sure you completely wash off all the product, otherwise it could affect future coatings.
Are your decking products eco-friendly?
- Our Ultimate Protection Decking Stain, Oil and Decking Rescue Paint don't have an unpleasant smell and are safe to use around plants and pets (although wait for your decking to dry before letting them walk on it). You can wash your brushes out in warm, soapy water.
Do you offer clear decking coatings?
- For a clear decking coating, try one of our natural finishes. We don't offer completely clear finishes, as you need to have a little bit of a tint in to protect your decking from the sun. Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Oil is available in a variety of colours including Natural, Natural Cedar, Natural Oak and Natural Pine.
Can you advise what's the best way to use decking stripper?
- Stripping your deck doesn't have to be back breaking work. Our Decking Stripper is really easy to use and works in no time at all. All you need is a nice warm day, above 10°. Make sure you wear some gloves. Give the tin a good shake then pour the Stripper into a metal or plastic bowl or tray. Use a good sized brush, around 4 inches, to put a thick layer on. Work in small sections and don't paint yourself into a corner. Leave it to work for about 30 minutes, if it's a particularly hot day, re-apply the Stripper over any patches that start to dry out. After 30 minutes, scrape the surface with something sharp like a paint scraper to see if it's worked. If not, put a bit more on and leave for 10-15 minutes. You then need to give it a scrub with a stiff brush. Scrub along the grooves and also across them to help loosen the finish underneath. Pour on some water and keep scrubbing. Finally, give it a good wash down with a hose or jet wash. Let your deck dry out for a couple of days. You'll then be ready to stain or oil it.
Can you recommend a decking applicator tool?
- The Ronseal Perfect Finish range is the easiest way to protect your deck. It comes with the handy Perfect Finish decking applicator pad and pole, putting an end to getting on your hands and knees with a brush.
Why do I need to use decking end grain preserver?
- When decking has been pre-treated, it is possible that the end grains will be left unprotected after they have been cut. To protect these end grains from wet and dry rot, you'll need to treat them.
Can I order a sample decking paint?
- Unfortunately we aren't able to provide sample pots, however we work hard to ensure that the colour chips in store and the shade labels on the tin are as accurate as possible to help you make your decision.
I'm looking for a cedar red decking stain, which products can I choose from?
- Our Ultimate Protection Decking Stain comes in 13 colours including Cedar. If you're looking for deeper tones, look for Mahogany or Dark Oak. For a more natural finish, try our Decking Oil. For bolder, opaque finishes, as well as some contemporary colours, try our Decking Rescue Paint.
Do you have an "all in one" decking treatment?
- There are no \"all in one\" treatments when it comes to decking. Ronseal Decking Rescue Paint can be applied onto grey, weathered decks with little preparation, just a good scrub with a decking brush to remove any loose bits of wood and any loose coatings. However it's best to pre-treat the decking with our Cleaner and Reviver as it makes the paint stick better and last longer.
Do you have a black or dark blue decking stain?
- Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Stain is available in a range of wood tones, as well as more contemporary options like Charcoal, Slate, Stone Grey and White Wash. If it's an opaque blue or black colour that you're after, try Ronseal Decking Rescue Paint Deep Blue or Charcoal.
What's your equivalent to Liberon Decking Oil?
- Ronseal Decking Oil provides decking with natural looking protection against the weather and foot traffic. It takes 2 hours to dry, and can be re-coated in 6 hours. If you have less time, try our Ultimate Protection Decking Oil which offers the same protection levels but is dry in just 90 minutes and can be recoated in 4 hours.
Can I get a replacement decking applicator pad?
- The Perfect Finish Decking Applicator Pads are sold as part of the Perfect Finish pack and are not available separately.
Do you provide a sprayable decking treatment?
- We do not recommend that you spray any of our decking products and don't have a sprayable decking protector product available.
Do you have a dark green decking paint in your product catalogue?
- Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Stain is available in a range of wood tones as well as more contemporary colour such as Mountain Green. For a more opaque finish, try Ronseal Decking Rescue Paint which comes in 10 colours including Willow. We don't have a specific dark green decking paint, but we have lots of other products and colours to choose from.
- Why do I need to protect my deck?
Find THE RIGHT PRODUCT FOR THE JOB
Where will you be working?